How does BorrowFox work?
It's quick and easy to join BorrowFox—and it's also free! There are no membership fees or monthly fees, we just take a small cut of each transaction (12.5%) to keep the platform running. Plus, you can become a Lender and make money by lending out your items!
BorrowFox is part of a growing peer-to-peer movement in the UK & Ireland called collaborative consumption. Now is there is an alternative to overpriced corporate rental companies!
You can use BorrowFox to rent all sorts of high-end camera and filming equipment, including cine cameras, DSLRs, high-end lenses, grips, lighting, drones, and even studioss
Do I need to be registered to borrow or lend an item?
You can browse and search BorrowFox without being registered. However, in order to ensure the BorrowFox community is trusting and secure, we do need to know a little bit about our users. When you decide to do your first ever rental, you will be prompted to register by giving your name, a working email, and Bank Account or Payment Card as a minimum. Once you decide to borrow or lend an item, we will complete a more detailed ID verification process to keep our community secure.
I'm a Lender, is my kit insured?
Yes, we insure your kit against any damage that occurs during the rental period. Please take note of the following conditions:
- It is critical to check the photo ID of the Borrower matches the details in the system before handing over your item(s).
- You will also need to take a photo of the Borrower collecting the item during the collection.
- Finally, we require time-stamped photos or videos of the items before the rental, and proof of purchase receipts for the items.
What value of kit is covered?
At our option, we will pay for the cost of repair or replacement of your items up to a maximum of £60,000.
Any payment we make will take into account any recoveries that you, the Lender, have obtained from a Borrower or any third-party for the damage.
For each incident of loss, the maximum we will pay will be the lowest of either £60,000 or the replacement value of the items.
Is there an excess?
No, there is no excess fee to make a claim.
I'm a Borrower, am I covered?
No, only the Lenders are insured. If you are a Borrower and are concerned about damaging the item and being liable for either repairing or replacing it, then we recommend you use another insurance company to protect yourself. The Borrower is fully responsible and liable for any item that they damage or lose.
As a Lender, what happens if my equipment is damaged?
1. Report the issue to BorrowFox within 24 hours of completion of the rental.
2. Reach out directly to the Borrower and see if you can resolve the issue amongst yourselves. Borrowers are fully liable for any damage they cause, so it’s often cheaper and quicker to ask him/her to pay for the repair or replacement of the item directly.
3. If you cannot resolve the issue, or if you would prefer not to communicate with the Borrower, just let BorrowFox know and we can step in.
4. We will ask you to provide time-stamped photo or video evidence of the item just before you lent it out to demonstrate it was in working order. Similarly, we will need evidence from the Borrower explaining the damage.
5. You will need to confirm that the photo ID of the Borrower was checked by you on collection and matches the details on the BorrowFox system (take a photo of the Borrower and his/her ID on collection)
6. If the Borrower denies causing any damage and it is unclear if the damage was their fault or not, then we may ask you to get the damage confirmed or diagnosed by a reputable third-party repairer. Either way, as soon as we have established the damage was the Borrower’s fault (as opposed to a technical malfunction or existing damage) then we will pay for it straight away.
7. In order to be eligible for insurance, we will require you to provide proof of purchase receipts for the affected items, a full-faced photograph of the Borrower at the time of collection, and evidence that you confirm the photo ID of the Borrower matched the ID on the platform at the time of collection.
8. You will need to provide proof that your own insurance cover is unable to cover the damage / theft / loss.
9. If the item is irreparable, we will get a replacement to you as soon as possible.
Do you cover public liability?
No, we do not cover any injury or damage that might happen to any person or their property as a consequence of an item malfunctioning.
As a Lender, am I eligible for the insurance cover?
All Lenders are eligible, as long as you’re able to confirm that you have never:
- been convicted of, or charged with, any offence other than motoring offences
- been subject to a county court judgement (CCJ), a debt relief order (DRO), an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) or to bankruptcy proceedings
- had insurance cancelled, refused or declined or had any special terms imposed
The rental process step-by-step:
1. Request: Borrower selects item on BorrowFox and enters a payment method.
2. Acceptance: Lender accepts the booking request.
3. Pickup & Inspection: Upon pickup of the item or receipt of delivery, the Borrower must inspect the item(s) to ensure that they are in good working order. Once this is done the Borrower will give the Lender a unique booking code (sent via text and available in Dashboard/Borrowing) to release the rental fee to the Lender. If the Borrower finds that the item they received is NOT in good condition, they must report the discrepancy to the Lender and to BorrowFox immediately.
4. Return & Inspection: When the Borrower returns the item, the Lender must inspect all items to ensure they are in good condition. If the Lender is happy with the condition of the item, they give the Borrower their unique booking code. If the Lender finds that the item is NOT in the same condition, they must report the discrepancy to the Borrower and to BorrowFox immediately.
We discourage both Borrower and Lenders from cancelling transactions, but we understand that plans change and the unexpected can happen. If you are a Borrower you can cancel before the start date, however you may incur cancellation fees.
If you need to cancel a request before it has been accepted, navigate to the Borrowing page on the BorrowFox site and click "Cancel” on the particular transaction. If you need to cancel after the request has already been accepted, please email email@example.com. Our cancellation policy is as follows:
More than 48 hours before rental period
Less than 48 hours before rental period
After rental period
We also highly discourage Lenders from cancelling—you should avoid accepting a rental request unless you are certain you can fulfil it. However, if you are a Lender and need to cancel because of an unforeseen event, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the minimum rental period?
One calendar day is the minimum rental period.
Can I ask a Lender questions about an item before I request it?
Yes, the website and mobile site allows for private messaging between interested parties.
Do I pay for a rental before or after the item is delivered/picked up?
No, your payment card is authorised when you request an item, but no money is taken from your account at this point. The payment only goes through when the item has been successfully collected, and the Lender has entered the booking code received from you. Payment is verified and processed by our secure third-party payment processor, Stripe.
Can I pay in cash?
No, you need to pay online for security reasons.
Can I negotiate a better price?
This one is up to you. It may be appropriate if you are hiring the item for an extended period of time or if you have rented it before. In reality, it is unlikely the Lender will adjust his/her pricing for Borrowers.
Why hasn’t the Lender responded?
Sometimes people are a little bit busier than we would like - or have even gone on holidays and forgotten to reflect that in their accounts. Whatever the reason, don't take it to heart. Just be patient and/or try someone else!
If the owner does not reply within 2 days your rental request will be automatically cancelled by the platform and your "authorisation" will be voided. No money will have been removed from your account so there is nothing further you need to do. Better luck next time!
As a Borrower, how do I know if my booking request has been accepted?
A fairy called Tinkerbell will appear on your doorstep with a magic message OR if your home isn't that fairy friendly, the BorrowFox team will send you an email and SMS notification letting you know the request has been accepted.
As a Borrower, how do I use the booking code when I collect an item?
Make sure you have the booking code when you meet with the Lender to receive the item. If you are happy with the item, you take it and give the Lender the booking code. The Lender will then need to enter that code on BorrowFox.com as a way of confirming the transaction has taken place. Once that is done, the rental is officially underway!
We have not arranged pickup of the item yet. Help!
Sorting out how to pick up the item is very simple. Lenders and Borrowers will be able to see each other’s phone numbers on the platform and in the notification emails, and you can use the "Messages" feature on the website to arrange the finer details! Easy!
I have accidentally damaged the item. What now?
Yikes! We do understand these things can happen and the very fact you are reading this means you obviously feel pretty bad already, so we will try to make this as painless as possible!
First of all, best advice is to contact the Lender straight away and let them know what has happened. Honesty truly is the best policy.
Secondly, as the Borrower, you are liable for any damage/loss/theft. Therefore, ensure that you cover the repair or replacement of the item. If there is uncertainty as to how the damage/lost/theft occurred, then please message us the details at email@example.com and we will do our best to help.
Finally, how you respond to the situation will determine your feedback from the Lender, so we always suggest coming clean as quickly as possible, and working with the Lender to reach a solution.
As a Borrower, how do I confirm once I've returned an item?
Simple! Go to Dashboard > Borrowing and submit a review of the Lender, then you're all done!
What is important to do before and after rental?
- We need timestamped photos or a video of your item before you lend it out to the Borrower so we highly recommend taking them on a smartphone where timestamps are encrypted
- We need proof your kit worked before you lent it particularly if it has a core function. For example, if it’s a drone – we need a timestamped video of it flying. This is necessary so you can prove it was working immediately prior to the rental
- If your item is returned damaged, you must notify us within 24 hours of the end date of the rental
Do I have to accept specific rental requests?
The mobile site and website allows Lenders to decline borrow requests. However, it’s important to avoid declining requests as too many can negatively affect your user rating.
What should I include in my item's description?
The description of your item, together with any photographs you include, will be what attracts Borrowers to your item. Think of what you’d like to see if you had the Borrower's point of view and you can't go wrong! Including key information like a general description of your item, any relevant specifications, what kind of condition the item is in, and a little bit about how you use it, will help your potential Borrower get a real sense of the item on offer.
How should I price my items?
We suggest setting competitive prices. Generally, this will be around 5% of the replacement value of the item. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want some specific suggestions.
Should my listing price include VAT?
If you are a VAT registered Lender then please ensure your listing is inclusive of VAT at 20%.
When do I get paid?
As a Lender, you get paid as soon as you enter the booking code (provided by the Borrower) into the platform at the start of the rental period. Once you have the code, simply visit Dashboard > Lending to enter it online. The rental fee is then released from the Borrower’s payment card and sent to your bank account. Stripe is our payment processor, and if this is your first transaction with Stripe, it will take 7 - 10 days to receive your first pay-out. Subsequent transactions are done on a rolling basis and processed according to your accounts pay-out schedule.
How do I get paid?
Enter your payment information in Settings and connect your BorrowFox account to your bank account. When you have a successful transaction, the rental fee will be deposited directly into your bank account.
Can I choose who borrows my kit?
Yes, you certainly can! If at any time you don't wish to go ahead with a rental for any reason, you don't have to. If you have received a booking request you do not wish to fulfil, all you need to do is decline it. You are always in control of who rents your items on BorrowFox.
What if I have an item that does not fit into an existing item category or subcategory?
If you find your item does not fit into one of our listed categories or subcategories, please email us at email@example.com with your item and a suggestion for the appropriate category or subcategory name. We cannot address all requests, but we will do our best to expand the categories to include as many types of items as we can.
Is there anything I can do to spread the word about my rental listing?
Yes! We suggest sharing the item listing on social media and emailing to interested friends. We can also provide you with custom discount codes, just reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
As a Lender, the Borrower has given me a booking code. What now?
Your next step is to enter that code on the BorrowFox platform. Go into Dashboard > Lending and click Confirm Pick-Up, and then follow the on-screen instructions to enter the booking code. Our system will then verify it is the right code, and transfer the rental fee to you.
Can I enter the booking code on my smartphone?
For sure! You can access a mobile version of the BorrowFox website via – just pop that address into your mobile's internet browser and you'll be connected up in no time!
How do I review the Borrower?
Once the transaction is complete, you will be prompted to review the Borrower. You will see the review fields in Dashboard > Lending. Completing the review will also automatically archive the rental into your Past Lends section.
What if the Borrower does not pick up the item?
Bit cheeky of them, isn't it? First of all, give them the benefit of the doubt. Something might have happened, so it's a good idea to drop them a message through the “Messages” feature on the website. See what they say and try to reschedule. If you don't get a response, or the response you get is not a positive one, you don't have to go ahead with the rental. As no booking code has been exchanged, BorrowFox will not continue with the rental anyway. You will get the chance to rate that member too...
In these circumstances please work together to make the communication as clear as possible. Be reasonable with your expectations too. If you think there has been some confusion or forgetfulness, be gentle, we’re all human.
My item has not been returned. What can I do?
The first piece of advice is not to panic. Try to make contact with the Borrower to see if there has been a mix up with the return time or location. Sometimes wires get crossed, or life gets in the way, and all you need to do is reschedule.
We will also try to contact them on your behalf. If they don’t come back to us within 24 hours, we will let you know and involve the police.